‘In Middletown there was a lot to do. There was bustle everywhere and plenty of distractions…
Our Man though, was looking for something simpler. He craved a quiet life. And so, that’s what he made, the day he moved his life into his truck.’
In MiddleTown is a remarkable new solo show, commissioned and produced by the Gate Theatre and written and performed by Irish Times Theatre Award winner Mikel Murfi. Performed outdoors on the back of a specially adapted truck, and to strictly limited audiences, it will tour towns and communities across the island of Ireland this summer.
Murfi plays a furniture removals man, in the middle of his life, living in the middle of a small town.
One day, instead of helping a neighbour move, he drives to his own house, packs up his ‘life’ onto the back of his truck, pulls the door behind him and never goes back.
The truck becomes his world, turning into places he thought he would never see or visit. He is a man moving on, neither here nor there, to both everywhere and nowhere.
In MiddleTown is a brilliantly imaginative, gentle reflection on ‘living in the middle’, and the search for solitude, simplicity, and the things that make us truly happy. It’s a magical, timely, and heartfelt piece for the times we live in.
This summer, find yourself In MiddleTown.
Mikel Murfi’s critically acclaimed shows include The Man in The Woman’s Shoes and I Hear You and Rejoice. In MiddleTown features set and costume design by Sabine Dargent, lighting design by Sinéad Wallace and sound design by Sandra O’Mahony.
- The performance will take place outdoors. We would ask all audience members to dress appropriately for the weather. Please check the forecast in advance and bring warm clothing and suitable footwear.
- To ensure that everyone can enjoy the show fully clearly, guests are asked not to bring umbrellas to the event. In the event of any sudden downpours, disposable rain macs will be available.
- In the event that severe weather is forecast, the venue will contact you in advance with updated event information. However, the performance will otherwise proceed rain or shine.
- You are welcome to bring a blanket with you or a cushion, but we would request that you do not bring any other large bags or rucksacks.
- No food or drink may be consumed during the performance and smoking is strictly prohibited.
Performance times: 9pm
Running time: 60 mins approx. with no interval
- In accordance with government guidelines, capacity for In MiddleTown is limited. Strict social distancing will be in place and will be enforced.
- Tickets will be sold in pods of singles, pairs or groups of four.
- Once the venue opens, venue staff will be on hand to guide you safely to your seat. The venue will open 30 mins before the performance.
- Please note that due to the touring nature of In MiddleTown and the limited capacity, it will not be possible to transfer bookings to alternative performances or locations.
Tickets will not be available for purchase on the evening; if you do not have a ticket for the show, please do not attend the venue.
If you are feeling unwell or displaying symptoms, please remain at home and self-isolate. DO NOT attend the venue.
- In MiddleTown will be performed outdoors in An Grianán Theatre’s car park.
- As the Gate will be using both the upper and lower car parks, parking at the theatre will be very limited. Please allow time to find a parking space in good time for the performance.
- The venue is located in our upper car park. The venue is fully accessible to wheelchair users. Please contact us no later than 48 hours in advance if you need special assistance.
- The outdoor auditorium will comprise of rows of seating pods. We would kindly request that all audience members wear face coverings in the venue until such time as you are in your designated pod. You are free to remove your face covering once seated, if you so wish.
- There will be no toilet facilities available during the event – the running time of the show is 60 mins without interval.